The Professional Year is a structured professional development program combining formal learning and workplace experience. PY has to be taken by IT Professionals, engineers and Accounting students after the completion of their Degree. It enables one to get a Permanent Resident Visa. A Professional Year will:
- Familiarise participants with the norms and values in the Australian workplace as well as the Australian employment market and workplace culture.
- Teach participants how to communicate effectively and professionally in the Australian workplace with colleagues, managers and clients
- Include an internship (work experience) to educate participants about all aspects of work practices in an Australian company.
- The professional year must have been undertaken for a period of at least 12 months in the 48 months immediately before applying and be in either:
- The applicant?s nominated skilled occupation.
- A closely related skilled occupation.
- Points can only be awarded for Professional Year courses that have been specified by the minister.